Africa Karibu - A Virtual Map Of Uganda and Africa - Blog



 


Virtual Road Map Of Uganda and Africa

Contents:

Introduction (below) /
Business World/
Culture, Music & Literature/
Education/
Governance & International Cooperation

Languages
Media
Miscellaneous
Nature & Wildlife
Tourism
Travelling/


Côte d'Ivoire - Ivory Coast/
Ethiopia/
Ghana
/
Kenya/
Malawi/
Tanzania/
Zimbabwe / Zambia / South Africa


Vision 

Throughout my travels in Uganda I find it difficult navigating my way for not knowing the names of roads, places, districts, houses - also in a figurative sense. With this blog I hope to change this. My main vision is to offer a (virtual) roadmap, in a country where roads have no names. 

Rwenzori Mountain Border

Mission

Through this blog I aspire to show the many faces of The Pearl of Africa. I want to make the country visible to people from my own perspective, and I want to give Ugandan commercial, cultural, artistic, media and other sectors an opportunity to introduce themselves on this platform. Below you will find links, photographs and descriptions I find of interest - the information may be used as a guide and does not have to be read A-Z. 

Contact information

Mr. Jørgen Christian Wind Nielsen. I can be reached at email wind.kommunikation@webspeed.dk/, on Facebook, on Linkedin, on WhatsApp, on Messenger, on Instagram, etc. A Facebook group is connected to this blog → Uganda Karibu/. I am a Dane living in Denmark.

Meet me on this video on YouTube in 2012 → here/.


Me, at Mweya Safari Lodge, Uganda, in 2020

Thanksgiving

Mr. Karl Kreiner was an engineer of European origin (Austria) who went to South Africa first and then Uganda. In Uganda, he worked in the Kilembe mines in the region around Fort Portal and Kasese, Western Uganda. This was in the 1950'ties and 60'ties. He always carried a videorecorder, shooting videos that we later digitized. Some of the video recordings are from Queen Elizabeth National Park and the Kazinga Channel, not far from the town of Kasese. Others are from Kampala, at the occasion of the visit of Queen Elizabeth the 2nd of England. You may see these unique and extraordinary recordings  click here.  

Alkebu-lan
Alkebu-lan is the oldest name for Africa. In Arabic, it means “The Land of the Blacks": 

"I am an artist from Sweden who has worked with precolonial Africa as a theme in my art for over a year. I have, as a mind experiment, made a map of what Africa could have looked like in the mid 19th century if Europe had never  become a colonizing world power. In order to do this I have tried to construct an alternative historical time-line in which Europe was much harder struck by the plague in the 1350’s and never recovered. Therefore  African nations would have gotten the opportunity to flourish unhindered"
, Nikolaj Cyon writes. Read more about it 
 here/.




But Africa was indeed colonized by Europeans. Below is a typical map used for teaching in primary school in Europe in the 1950ties and 1960ties.



Kommentarer

Populære opslag fra denne blog

Samtalerummet